NOTE: To edit permissions, you must have the “Configure Roles” permission granted to you.
Hazard Scout allows you to manage the roles and permissions of each employee. Unlike many other platforms, Administrator accounts do not have an additional cost. It is completely up to each organization to decide which information an employee can view or edit.
To edit the roles and permissions, go to the Control Panel then click “Roles & Permissions”:
Here you will see dozens of different actions (e.g. Create Forms, Delete Forms, etc). Typically an Admin has access to everything, where an employee may be quite limited.
By default, you will see three roles: Employee, Manager, and Admin. You are able to delete these roles or create new ones to suit your organization.
To delete a role, there must be zero employee profiles assigned to that role. You can change an employee’s role within their profile page.
To add a role, press “Add Role”. You can choose to clone a current role or you can start it with “No Permissions”.
Under each role you will see a green check if full access is granted and a red X if access is denied.
In this example, Managers and Admins have full access. Employees are setup to:
- View their own phone number
- View everyone’s email, emergency contact info, and job title
- View the advisors for anyone within their Field Office
- Not allowed to view Dates (hire, termination dates)
Granting or Denying Permissions
To change the permissions for a role, press the check or the x (whichever is shown). Then choose Allow or Deny and press “Save”.
With some permissions, you can allow more granular access. In the example above, Employees were able to view Advisors for anyone within their Field Office. To do this, press the “Limited” option and choose the conditions that apply.
Here we’ll allow employee to fill out a limited set of reports:
- Click the green check next to “Submit Reports” (under the Employee role)
- Press “Limited” > “Choose Condition” > “Near Miss Report” > “OK”
- Now press “or…” under “Near Miss Report” to add another report
- Press “Observation Report” > “OK”
- Press “Save” to finish
- Now you can see that Employees can fill out “Near Miss Reports or Observation Reports”
- NOTE: The “or” is important here. The permission will not work if you choose and in this situation.
Assigning A Role To An Employee
If you have permission to change an employee’s role, you can do so within their employee profile page. Press “Edit”, select the new role, then press “Save”.